Aunt Week

I have a few favorite recipes that are named after my aunts. I think this week will be devoted to them. 

My dad’s younger sister, Aunt Sherry, is an AMAZING cook. Her food is always a hit. My kids beg for some of her dishes. Her notable recipes are Aunt Sherry fruit salad, Aunt Sherry pasta salad and Aunt Sherry carrot cake. She also has the recipe for my dad’s favorite applesauce cookies. I have used her knowledge many times and have been able to replicate my grandma’s homemade chili. My aunts also tweaked Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden, giving me a good start at my own take on it. I love my Aunt Sherry.

On my mom’s side of the family my Aunt Jana has some amazing recipes. Her notables are homemade maple syrup and homemade hot fudge sauce. I love making those recipes because they make me think of the fun times we’ve spent together.

Today we’ll start with Aunt Sherry’s dishes. They’re so simple, but so yummy!!

Aunt Sherry’s Fruit Salad

1 can sweetened condensed milk 

1 large tub cool whip

1 1/2 Tbs. Lemon juice 

Mix together milk, cool whip and juice until combined. (This mix makes a fantastic fruit dip.)

Gently stir in: 

3-4 sliced bananas

1 can drained pineapple tidbits 

10 oz. (Or larger) bag frozen raspberries 

Handful chopped nuts (optional)


We’ve also added mandarin oranges or huckleberries. It’s so yummy.


Aunt Sherry’s Pasta Salad 

1 bag cooked noodles of your choice 

1-2 cans sliced olives

2 cups frozen petite peas

1-2 cups chopped ham

1 chopped onion (optional)

2-3 cups Miracle whip

Combine olives, ham, peas and onions. Add Miracle Whip. Fold in noodles (make sure the noodles are cooled.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ham and Bean Soup 

Easy Hamburger Stroganoff 

Soft Sugar Cookies and Buttercream Frosting